Custom GPTs are the newest “IT” kid in the world of AI. Since OpenAI announced this new feature during it’s live DevDay event earlier this month (November, 2023) it seems to be all anyone is talking about.
But what are Custom GPTs?
How could they possibly help you as a podcaster or creator?
And more importantly, how can you create your own?
That’s what we’re going to cover!
Custom GPTs: A New Frontier for Podcasters
What Are Custom GPTs?
Custom GPTs (Generative Pre-trained Transformers) are specialized versions of OpenAI’s ChatGPT, designed to perform specific tasks or address particular topics. ChatGPT by itself is a very general tool. It’s meant to handle a very broad range of topics, tasks, and questions.
By integrating custom instructions, knowledge, and capabilities, creators now have the ability to build their own GPTs to be more aligned with their unique objectives.
Now, rather than molding each ChatGPT conversation to help you with a specific task, you can essentially create a tailored version of ChatGPT for each of those highly-specific tasks. And they can be reused over and over without having to develop complicated prompts each time you sit down to work.
A Few Ways Podcasters and Creators Can Use Custom GPTs
- Content Generation: Crafting engaging scripts or generating ideas for episodes becomes more straightforward and creative.
- Editing Assistance: They can assist in editing transcripts, ensuring clear, concise, and engaging content for listeners.
- Audience Engagement: Custom GPTs can help in creating interactive segments, polls, or Q&A sessions tailored to the podcast’s theme.
- Research Aid: Conducting in-depth research on topics, providing comprehensive background information for discussions.
- Personalization: They can help in personalizing content for different audience segments, enhancing listener experience and loyalty.
In essence, you could have your own Custom GPT for each one of the items listed above. It’s almost like having a personal assistant for each task you’d like to accomplish.
How to Start Building Custom GPTs
Accessing Custom GPTs
Before you can start building your own custom GPT, you should know that you must be on a paid ChatGPT Plus account. At this time, free users are unable to build or use any Custom GPTs.
If don’t have a Plus account, head to the link above and sign up ($20/month – and it’s WAY worth it). Once you’ve signed up, or if you already have an account, here’s how to start building Custom GPTs and understanding the GPT Builder:
Step 1: Head to https://chat.openai.com/
First, you’ll need to login to ChatGPT.
Step 2: Explore the GPT Dashboard
Navigate to the left side of the screen. This is where you’d typically see your past conversation history, but now you should see a new option that says Explore.
Step 3: Familiarize Yourself with Available Resources
Here you’ll find several pre-built GPTs from OpenAI. To begin using these GPTs, all you have to do is choose the one you’d like to use, and begin chatting with it like a normal ChatGPT conversation.
Step 4: Plan Your Custom GPT
Before diving into the GPT Builder, have a clear idea of what you want to create. Whether it’s for scripting, audience engagement, or content management, knowing your goals will help you utilize the tools more effectively.
Once you have a plan for the kind of GPT you’d like to create, you can begin diving into building Custom GPTs.
Building Your Own Custom GPT: A Step-by-Step Guide for Podcasters
Understanding the GPT Builder
Creating a custom GPT starts with OpenAI’s GPT Builder. This tool allows you to describe, in plain English, the type of GPT you want to develop. Whether it’s a chatbot that provides episode summaries or an AI that suggests interview questions, the GPT Builder is designed to interpret and guide you through the creation process.
Step 1: Create a GPT
After navigating to the Explore page, click Create a GPT.
You’ll notice that the screen is divided into two sections:
- Create/Configure (left): This is where you’ll be giving ChatGPT the instructions for building Custom GPTs
- Preview (right): This is where you can test out your Custom GPT
Step 2: Describe the Goal of your GPT
The first thing ChatGPT will do is ask you to describe the functionality of your GPT. What do you want it to do?
Step 3: Craft a Name and Image for Your Custom GPT
Next, ChatGPT will begin giving you suggestions for names as well as generating an image for your GPT by using DALL E.
You can provide suggestions to ChatGPT and make modifications to these elements, but don’t get too hung up on this part. You can always come back later and change them.
Step 4: Craft Your Custom GPTs Instructions
With a name and image chosen, ChatGPT will begin asking you various questions about what you’d like the GPT to do, and how you’d like the Custom GPT to respond.
Work through all of these questions, giving ChatGPT as much detail as possible.
Remember, the more detail and context you can provide ChatGPT, the better it will understand your goals and be able to deliver on your expectations.
Step 5: Test Your Custom GPT
Once you’d finished answering ChatGPT’s questions, you can test out how the GPT works in the Preview pane on the right side of the screen.
Walk through the process that you’d established and make sure your GPT gives you the results you’re hoping for.
If the GPT fails to deliver, you can always ask ChatGPT (on the left side of the screen) to make changes to your instructions.
Step 6: Advanced Configuration for Custom GPTs
If you’re really interested in fine-tuning your Custom GPT even further, click on the Configure tab.
Here, you can see the current instructions that ChatGPT gave your Custom GPT, as well as the name, description, and image that ChatGPT came up with for your GPT.
You also have some additional settings that you can play with to further enhance your Custom GPT:
- Conversation Starters: Modify or change the questions the appear when you launch your Custom GPT.
- Knowledge: Upload your own documents and resources for your Custom GPT to reference while completing it’s tasks.
- Capabilities: Turn on/off different ChatGPT capabilities like Web-Browsing, DALL E Image Generation, or Code Interpreter
- Actions: If you’re a developer, this is where you can connect your Custom GPT into information outside of ChatGPT
Embracing the Future with Custom GPTs: Join the NextGen Podcaster Community
As we’ve explored the exciting realm of building custom GPTs, it’s evident that these AI tools offer immense potential for innovation and efficiency, especially in podcasting. At NextGen Podcaster, we’ve embraced this future wholeheartedly and want to help you do the same.
Our Custom GPTs: Tailored for Podcasting and Content Creation Excellence
We’ve already developed six custom GPTs, each designed to address specific aspects of podcasting and content creation:
- Podcast Episode Evaluator: An AI tool that provides feedback on your podcast episodes, helping you refine and enhance each one.
- Video Vizard: A specialized GPT for transforming podcast episodes into engaging video content.
- NextGen Blog Buddy: Your assistant for turning podcast and video transcripts into captivating blog posts.
- Podcast Show Notes Writer: This GPT simplifies the creation of detailed and informative show notes for each episode.
- Podcast Name Wizard: Struggling with naming your podcast? This tool generates creative and catchy names for your episodes.
- Podcaso Cover Art Generator: Design eye-catching cover art for your podcast, tailored to your show’s theme and style.
NextGen Blog Buddy is actually what I used to help create the blog post you’re reading right now!
Join the Community for Exclusive Access
By joining the NextGen Podcaster community, not only do you get access to these powerful tools, but you also become part of a forward-thinking group of podcasters. After becoming a member, you’ll gain access to all our custom-built GPTs, replays of all past mastermind sessions, and a growing list of resources to help you implement AI into your creation process.
A Future of Infinite Possibilities
The journey into AI and podcasting is just beginning. With tools like custom GPTs, the possibilities are endless. Whether you’re a seasoned podcaster or just starting, NextGen Podcaster is here to propel you into a future where your creativity knows no bounds.
Join us at NextGen Podcaster, and let’s build the future of podcasting together.